Auditions – Mamma Mia!
West Hartford Community Theater is excited to announce auditions for our fall 2019 show!
Performance Dates: November 15, 16, 17, and 22, 23, 24
Director – Janice Luise
Music Director – David Jarkey
Choreographer – Jen Checovetes
Producer – Terry Szymanski
Auditions will be held in the Parish Hall of St. Mark’s Church at 467 Quaker Lane South in West Hartford on the following days:
- Tue, May 21nd @ 6:30-9:30 pm– All lead & supporting roles/ensemble
- Wed, May 22rd @ 6:30-9:30 pm– All lead & supporting roles/ensemble
- Thu, May 23th @ 6:30-9:30 pm– Call backs for leads & supporting roles (if necessary). Please email email@example.com as soon as possible if you are not available for the scheduled audition dates.
- Auditions will be required for all roles, including lead, supporting, featured dance, and ensemble. Please Note that you may audition for a featured dancer role independently, meaning that if you are chosen as a featured dancer you are not required to play any other role in the show.
- For music auditions, you will be required to sing the designated selection below.
- Please be prepared to read from the script. Reading selections will be provided at the audition, and are attached (see link below).
- Show Dates are Friday, November 15 (evening), Saturday, November 16 (evening), Sunday November 17 (afternoon), and Friday November 22 (evening), Saturday November 23 (evening), and Sunday November 24 (afternoon). Please audition only if you can commit to all 6 shows, to all rehearsals during tech week (begins Sunday November 10), as well as to the rehearsal schedule (with limited absences) of Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays beginning the Tuesday before Labor Day and leading up to tech week.
- All those auditioning will be asked to learn a short, fairly simple, dance/movement combination. Featured dancer auditions will be more comprehensive.
- Auditioners will sign in upon arrival and will be heard in the order of signup.
- Please complete the attached Audition Form and bring it with you to your audition.
- You may also bring a theater resume if you have one.
- We will take a photo of you after you sign in at auditions, to make sure we coordinate the person with the correct audition form.
- Please wear comfortable clothing and shoes for the dance audition.
- You will be required to list all your known rehearsal conflicts on the audition form. Rehearsals will begin the Tuesday before Labor Day. We typically rehearse Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays, with an occasional extra weekday or weekend rehearsal – and every day during the week starting the Sunday before the show. You are expected to attend all rehearsals not listed on your conflict form. To be fair to others, if absence becomes a problem, your participation in the show may be reduced or eliminated.
We are always looking for folks to get involved in our production, including back stage crew, lighting, sound, set construction and painting, and house duties (ushering, concessions, etc). Please let us know if you would like to participate, even if you don’t want to be in the show!
If you have any questions, please email us at auditions@WestHartfordTheater.org
About the Show
On a small Greek island, Sophie dreams of a perfect wedding – one that includes her father giving her away. The problem? Sophie doesn’t know who he is! Her mother Donna, the former lead singer of the 1970’s pop group Donna and the Dynamos, refuses to talk about the past, so Sophie decides to take matters into her own hands. Sneaking a peak in her mother’s old diaries, she discovers three possible fathers: Sam, Bill, and Harry. She secretly invites all three to her wedding, convinced that she’ll know her father when she sees him. But when all three turn up, it might not be as clear as she thought! Told through the legendary music of ABBA, Mamma Mia! has become a worldwide sensation that has everywhere dancing.
All age ranges shown are somewhat flexible.
Sophie Sheridan – Female, 20-25
Vocal Range: E5-F#3 Soprano, Mezzo-Soprano
Born and raised on the island. A very special young woman who is determined to find the romance and happiness she feels eluded her mother. Has an adventurous spirit even though she pursues a conventional marriage. Must be able to move extremely well.
Donna Sheridan – Female, 40-50
Vocal range: A5-E3/Mezzo Soprano, Alto
Sophie’s mother. Beautiful and free-spirited. Former lead singer of “Donna and the Dynamos”. Owner of the hotel Villa Donna on the island.
Sky – Male, 20-30
Vocal range: Ab4-Eb3/Tenor, Baritone
Sophie’s fiancé. Athletic, attractive – was a successful businessman. Left to help Donna with her taverna and marry Sophie.
Tanya – Female, 40-50
Vocal range: E5-E3/Mezzo Soprano, Alto
A former singer in the Dynamos. Rich, sophisticated, acerbic, funny, witty. Actress who sings. Must be able to move extremely well.
Rosie – Female, 40-50
Vocal range: D5-E3/Alto
Also a former singer with the Dynamos who now writes for and runs a feminist press. She’s confident, strong, and funny on the outside but shy underneath. Kooky and fun, good comic presence, a bit of a clown. Actress who sings. Must be able to move extremely well.
Sam Carmichael – Male, 40-50
Vocal range: Ab4-D3/Baritone
Might be Sophie’s father. Left Donna 20 years ago because he was engaged to another woman. Charming, successful architect. Actor who sings. Should be able to move well.
Harry Bright – Male, 40-50
Vocal range: F#4-C#3/High Baritone, Tenor
Might be Sophie’s father. British financier, wealthy, buttoned-up, and conservative but trying to reconnect with his freer, youthful self. Must do a convincing British accent. An actor who sings. Should be able to move well.
Bill Austin – Male, 40-50
Vocal range: F#4-Bb2/Baritone
Might be Sophie’s father. A travel writer with no possessions or strings. Good-natured, always ready for adventure. Funny, comedic actor. Should be able to move well.
FEATURED ENSEMBLE ROLES
Lisa – Female, 20-25
Vocal range: Db5-G3/Mezzo Soprano
Sophie’s friend who arrives to be a bridesmaid. Very energetic and kooky. Must be able to dance.
Ali – Female, 20-25
Vocal range: D5-G3/Mezzo Soprano
Sophie’s friend, impulsive and fun. Should contrast to Lisa and Sophie. Must be able to dance.
Pepper – Male, 20-29
Vocal range: F5-A4/Baritone, Tenor
Barman at the taverna. Sky’s friend. Helps run the hotel. Charming, loves women, always flirting. Must be able to dance. Acrobatic skills a plus.
Eddie – Male, 20-29
Vocal range: F5-A4/Baritone, Tenor
Helps Sky with water sports. Another friend of Sky, and hotel worker. Laid-back, easygoing. Must be able to dance.
Father Alexandros – Male, 30-60
Bass, Baritone, Tenor
The minister of Kalokairi who will be performing the wedding ceremony.
Ensemble – Males and Females 16+
All ensemble members should be strong singers who move well, and are confident and adept at creating full realized, strong, textured characters. The ensemble plays a wide variety of roles. We are seeking a full range of male and female voices.
REQUIRED AUDITION SONGS (Sheet Music Attached)
|Character||Song/Measures(select to download)||Details|
|Sophie Sheridan||Thank You For The Music – Meas. 33-63|
|Donna Sheridan||The Winner Takes It All – Meas. 4-27
Mamma Mia – Meas. 1-21
|Take A Chance – Meas. 1-22||Written Key Only (Bb)|
|All Other Roles and Ensemble||Take A Chance – Meas. 1-22||Accompanist will provide starting notes. The key can be transposed to better fit the candidate’s vocal range. The candidate must specify the number of half steps to raise or lower the key at the time of the audition|
Required audition sides.