Auditions – Mamma Mia!
We are looking for males for roles of Sky, Pepper, and Sky’s friends (male ensemble roles).
Performance Dates: November 15, 16, 17, and 22, 23, 24
Director – Janice Luise
Music Director – David Jarkey
Choreographer – Jen Checovetes
Producer – Terry Szymanski
The auditions for will be held on Wednesday June 26, from 6:30-9:00.
The last appointment will be at 8:45.
The location is St. Mark’s parish hall at 467 So. Quaker Lane in West Hartford.
Those who want to audition must send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an audition time.
- Auditions will be required for all roles.
Please Note that you may audition for a featured dancer role independently, meaning that if you are chosen as a featured dancer you are not required to play any other role in the show.
- For music auditions, you will be required to sing the designated selection below.
- Please be prepared to read from the script. Reading selections will be provided at the audition, and are attached (see link below).
- Show Dates are Friday, November 15 (evening), Saturday, November 16 (evening), Sunday November 17 (afternoon), and Friday November 22 (evening), Saturday November 23 (evening), and Sunday November 24 (afternoon). Please audition only if you can commit to all 6 shows, to all rehearsals during tech week (begins Sunday November 10), as well as to the rehearsal schedule (with limited absences) of Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays beginning the Tuesday before Labor Day and leading up to tech week.
- All those auditioning will be asked to learn a short, fairly simple, dance/movement combination. Featured dancer auditions will be more comprehensive.
- Auditioners will sign in upon arrival and will be heard in the order of signup.
- Please complete the attached Audition Form and bring it with you to your audition.
- You may also bring a theater resume if you have one.
- We will take a photo of you after you sign in at auditions, to make sure we coordinate the person with the correct audition form.
- Please wear comfortable clothing and shoes for the dance audition.
- You will be required to list all your known rehearsal conflicts on the audition form. Rehearsals will begin the Tuesday before Labor Day. We typically rehearse Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays, with an occasional extra weekday or weekend rehearsal – and every day during the week starting the Sunday before the show. You are expected to attend all rehearsals not listed on your conflict form. To be fair to others, if absence becomes a problem, your participation in the show may be reduced or eliminated.
We are always looking for folks to get involved in our production, including back stage crew, lighting, sound, set construction and painting, and house duties (ushering, concessions, etc). Please let us know if you would like to participate, even if you don’t want to be in the show!
If you have any questions, please email us at auditions@WestHartfordTheater.org
About the Show
On a small Greek island, Sophie dreams of a perfect wedding – one that includes her father giving her away. The problem? Sophie doesn’t know who he is! Her mother Donna, the former lead singer of the 1970’s pop group Donna and the Dynamos, refuses to talk about the past, so Sophie decides to take matters into her own hands. Sneaking a peak in her mother’s old diaries, she discovers three possible fathers: Sam, Bill, and Harry. She secretly invites all three to her wedding, convinced that she’ll know her father when she sees him. But when all three turn up, it might not be as clear as she thought! Told through the legendary music of ABBA, Mamma Mia! has become a worldwide sensation that has everywhere dancing.
All age ranges shown are somewhat flexible.
Sky – Male, 20-30
Vocal range: Ab4-Eb3/Tenor, Baritone
Sophie’s fiancé. Athletic, attractive – was a successful businessman. Left to help Donna with her taverna and marry Sophie.
FEATURED ENSEMBLE ROLES
Pepper – Male, 20-29
Vocal range: F5-A4/Baritone, Tenor
Barman at the taverna. Sky’s friend. Helps run the hotel. Charming, loves women, always flirting. Must be able to dance. Acrobatic skills a plus.
Eddie – Male, 20-29
Vocal range: F5-A4/Baritone, Tenor
Helps Sky with water sports. Another friend of Sky, and hotel worker. Laid-back, easygoing. Must be able to dance.
Ensemble – Males 16+
All ensemble members should be strong singers who move well, and are confident and adept at creating full realized, strong, textured characters. The ensemble plays a wide variety of roles. We are seeking a full range of male and female voices.
REQUIRED AUDITION SONGS (Sheet Music Attached)
|Character||Song/Measures(select to download)||Details|
|Sky and Ensemble||Take A Chance – Meas. 1-22||Accompanist will provide starting notes. The key can be transposed to better fit the candidate’s vocal range. The candidate must specify the number of half steps to raise or lower the key at the time of the audition|
Required audition sides